Saturday, June 30, 2012

Beware the TPP

The Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement appears to be the latest means by which big business conglomerates hope to bypass local democracies to have their desired laws passed. While various citizen's groups are concerned about many different aspects of the TPP, the issue most dear to my heart is what effect it will have on the internet. I recommend everyone reading this, all three of you, to sign OpenMedia's TPP petition:
I oppose any provisions in the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) agreement that would expand the power of conglomerates, including by criminalizing or otherwise restricting the use of the Internet. I oppose an online environment that lets big media conglomerates invade my privacy, remove online content on demand, saddle me with heavy fines, or terminate my access to the Internet.

I call on the governments involved in the TPP to make the process transparent, accountable, and open to public participation and to all interested stakeholders.

No comments: